Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dear Story Time,



As you may be very well aware, I have been employed by GAP for a while now.
I love my job.
I love the people I work with.
I love dressing mannequins and hanging decals.
I love cleaning the fitting rooms in the morning shifts (no, seriously though...it's my favorite)
I even love work meetings.

SO... since I've been home I decided I would see if I could pick up some shifts at our local GAP. My managers were fabulous and took care of everything for me. I was excited, they were excited... life was good.

WELL, yesterday was my first day working there. It was only a 5 hour shift... not bad.
I arrive to the store 10 minutes early so I can get accustomed with everything. Something you should know about me is that I LOVE sales rallies...opening, closing... I love them all.

You can imagine my disappointment when I asked, "Soo..where do you guys meet for the sales rally?" And the girl looked at me and said, "The what??" In that split second, I think my heart skipped a beat. I gave a nervous laugh and said, "Um you know...where they tell you the goals for the day, special promotions, you know..." She just looked at me and said, "Oh yeah... just go read it off the sheet and then go out to the floor and find a manager."

This was the moment where I had my first "WHAT?!"

My second "WHAT?!" moment came when I walked out on to the floor
and she sent me to GAP Baby. Ugh.

The third occurred as I walked over there and found no one in the store. I started walking around looking for clothes to refold, size, etc. That's when I quickly realized that there were LITERALLY, NO LIE, NO EXAGGERATION, NO clothes to fix. Everything was perfectly placed, folded, sized... it was insane. So, I got on the walky and asked if there were any reticketing jobs that needed to be done or go-backs. Reticketing was done that morning (reticketing is a never ending process at our store... it is never "done") and apparently go-backs are non-existent in their store.

To add to my dismay, Baby's register wasn't open...so anyone who was even going to buy anything from me would go to Kids to check out. This left with me with virtually nothing to do. SO, I Swiffered...yes, Swiffered the store... in the middle of the day! (I was actually happy to see dust... it made me feel like I was back in our store). In our store we do all the cleaning in the morning because there are too many people to do it during store hours. Don't worry though, because that's not a problem here. I had MAYBE four customers walk in the store during my whole five hour shift.

Long story short, if I worked in this store every day...
my career in retail would last about one month... tops.

The people were great.
The store obviously looked perfect.
However, standing and twidling my thumbs for 4 hours straight
just doesn't really hit the spot for me.

EFY couldn't come any sooner...


3 comments:

DT said...

Has the recession hit Ohio particularly hard? Or do most Ohio couples just not have children?

Alex and Mitch said...

HA! That was great! And I thought body could get slow and boring! You just made me appreciate our store so much more! I have no idea how you did that for 5 hours. Please tell me that was your only shift there!

Lynsey said...

I love baby, but only Utah baby... ya know... cause us Mormons have so much children! I'm glad you survived thought. xoxo